Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Heart of Gold


I went to visit some of my family in Palm Desert this weekend and as I was heading back home, my little sister Ashton did the most unbelievably heartfelt act of kindness I have yet to witness.
She knows of my trip to South Africa, she has a basic understanding of my reason for going and she is aware of some situations these children have experienced. But at 10years old, how much can she really understand? How much of the reality of my trip should she really know about? She's just a child. And yet, she completely understands serving God, giving and being kind to others.
As I was saying bye to everyone, along with a few others that were heading out, she was saddened to find that I was also leaving. I explained that I had to get back home because I have work the next day. And this is the conversation that followed .... "why? who cares? why do you have to work" ..... "well..... because, apparently I'm a grown up and that's what grown ups do. I've got to make money. " ... "oh" ...... "Yep. Stay a child for as long as you can. Don't grow up too fast" ..... "ok". And now that I am typing this, I believe I know the reason behind her next action.
I've got my bag packed, purse, phone, everything set by the door. I was saying bye to my friend Megan as she heads home, my step mom and little brother as they head down to Tot Stop, and my Aunt Dena as she leaves. I realized that I forgot my phone charger so I head back inside. At that very moment Ashton's friend Emily is telling me that I can't leave yet, "Ashton has something to give you." .... I turn aroun to head towards the front door and there is my beautiful little sister standing there holding a handful of money which she had taken from her piggy bank. She doens't really say anything, but I said "you're not giving me your money. Ashton, no, I can't take it." She still held it out and said "for your trip". I took the money out of her hands and with tears in my eyes I hugged her tight. I told her that she was the most wonderful, amazing little sister anyone could ever ask for. I looked at my dad and said "your littlest daughter is awesome". My dad had no idea she planned to give me money, so now his eyes are beginning to water. I asked Ashton why she was crying, she wasn't really sure why. I'm not sure why either of us were, but we were having a moment. A moment like I've never experience before. I couldn't believe her. I'm so completely touched by her act of kindness.
I took the money, not because I needed it, but because I didn't want to deprive her of giving. She obviously felt called to give and it was on her heart to do so. She gave with money that she had been saving; money given on birthdays, money earned by doing chores, her own money. I wouldn't dare takt that away from someone. Especially from someone so wonderfully, beautiful as my littlest sister. I felt God's presence around us during that moment and I will never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment